Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thing #12: Addicted to News

I have to say that I have a love-hate relationship with news. Thing #12 is one that I have to be careful about how much time I devote. My father was a news reporter. It's a rough life, and I got to hear about all the horrible car accidents, bombings, riots, etc that he covered. Being a radio journalist, his main goal was to get a "sound bite." Generally this means that you either have to get someone saying something, or you have to get the "boom" of the explosion, the "honking" of the traffic jam caused by the accident. Anyway, because of my father's all-consuming relationship with news, I'm not so big on it. Not only is it depressing, but it's all too overwhelming. I like to scan. Just the headlines. I don't read the really bad stuff. It's enough to know it happened. I don't need the details.

That said, the sites that compose the articles by vote are kinda interesting to me because I truly can just scan. Every once in a while, I like a good long read, like the New York Times provides. I looked at Mixx, Digg, Newsvine, and Reddit. I liked Digg the most. I was sad to see that Ian Hibell passed away in a car accident, on his bike. Mixx was okay. I didn't like the other two at all. They seemed to be all politics right now. Not too big on politics either.

I tried to "share" the op-ed article Sarah Palin Speaks! from the NY Times, but YahooBuzz didn't work for me. I signed up for Digg, but have to do all the verifying etc. Cool tool!

No comments: