Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thing #11: Delicious, but not tasty

Neat-oh. I think that's something that my dad always said as I was growing up. It might date me a little. This particular thing had to do with the website del.icio.us. I could have a lot of fun with this site. I'm always trying to set up bookmarks, but don't often use them. If I actually saw them and could organize them like delicious does, I think I'd use them more.

Well, for record-keeping, I watched the podcast, checked out the Minn23 account, took a look at Lookybook and went through Lemons Are Not Red (a book I have to check out for my two-year-old), made my own account (which I hope to play around more with in the future), and I tagged my Thing #8 post with biking/Freewheel tags. Fun stuff!

I remember mention of this being discussed at this year's PLA conference, about using this type of tagging in library catalogs. It sounds revolutionary to me. A lot of people would be able to find books on Native Americans if they didn't have to look up "Indian Americans." How useful this would be for local communities that have their own way of saying things: dialects could be used. It all reminds me of Sandy Berman and the work that he did in revamping subject headings.

No comments: