Monday, May 18, 2009

Thing #45: The Cloud

I guess I've been familiar with cloud computing for a while now. I ran into an article while I was doing 23 things that referred to that term and looked into it a little bit more. My mental response was to think, Oh, so that's what they're calling it. I recently had a conversation with my husband about backing up our files online. It seems scary to me, but he made a good point. What if the house burns down. It's all gone. Everything. Backup CDs. External hard drive. Gone. And that would be just horrible, because we would loose so many memories. Almost all of our photos are digital. We didn't decide on whether to do it or not. I see another conversation on that topic in the making.

And I guess I also knew about being able to control your desktop from another computer. My dad, who loves gadgets and had a second career as a web developer, had a client who needed daily maintenance on their website. He used this technology to access his server computer at home when he vacationed to my house (a mere 800 miles away). And I could be totally wrong, but I think my husband may have used this technology as an IBMer before he was issued a laptop for work purposes.

It's such a weird intangible concept, and yet, cool! What's next?

No comments: