Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thing #33: Traveling

With two little ones, I don't do a lot of traveling. I like the idea of it, but the closest that we'll get to traveling is going back to visit their grandparents, or our bike trip where they'll spend the week with their grandparents while we ride. So, although I'm sure I'll be able to use this information to help others, I'm not sure that I'll be able to use it personally until another few years down the road. Maybe by then, Travel 2.0 will be the norm.

I read a couple of the articles on Travel 2.0, the one in Christian Science Monitor and the one in USA Today. I've had similar experiences as what was noted in one of those about hearing all this great stuff about a hotel and then finding out it's crap. I can relate. We reserved a room once in Chicago and they gave us someone else's on accident, but then were so full that they couldn't correct the issue. We gave them 1 star because they weren't too concerned about screwing up.

So, back to the Thing. I liked the My Kugelhopf blog. I sometimes wish I could travel for a living. But I chose a different life, so I get to do other things and read about people who do that. Which is sometimes more fun, if you really think about it. Nice recipes. Will have to try one. I learned about the Fasika Ethiopian restaurant in St. Paul by going to Tripadvisor.com. If I could ever convince my husband to eat anything but American food, I might try it out. Or maybe the next time MLA goes that way.

I checked out Mapness. I could see that being a lot of fun. It's apparently changed to MapVivo. I looked at a motorcycle trip around the world in 5 years. For something like that I would wonder how they got internet access to put it all in as they went. Or maybe they did it afterwards as a scrapbooking kind of tool. Well, looks neat, but don't know how I'd use it at this point.

And I looked at Green Routes. I'm not sure about that one. It looks like more people need to add to the site to make it a little more useful. I'm not sure why our area of the state would be considered Bluff Country either. Odd. So, Thing #33. Done. What's next?

No comments: